All of our educational programs for schools have been designed to meet the goals and objectives of the Connecticut Framework and to help build the skills necessary for success on the Connecticut Mastery Tests and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Content Standard Connections are included in the PDF below.
Our museum tours and outreach programs are also great for non-school youth groups, such as Scout troops, church groups, social service agencies, and after-school programs. You can download our current School and Youth Programs Brochure below or use the navigation to the right to find out more about Museum Tours, Classroom Outreach, History Day in Connecticut, Scout Programs, or Professional Development for Educators.
How to schedule a program...
All school and youth groups must make a reservation. In fairness to all our visitors, programs must be scheduled in advance. Group size limits vary and are listed with the individual program descriptions. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 236-5621 x232 for more information or to schedule a program.
Times and Days
- School group tours are scheduled Monday through Friday between 9:15 am and 3:00 pm.
- School outreach programs are scheduled Monday through Friday, allowing for morning transportation time from Hartford.
- After-school, Scout, and youth group tours and programs are also available later in the day and on some Saturdays.
- Costs vary with the type of the program and are listed with the individual program descriptions.
- There is a minimum $50 fee per program.
- Fee reductions may be available for groups requiring financial assistance. Requests must be made in writing to: Head of Education Programs, attn: Fee Reduction, Connecticut Historical Society, One Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105.
- We require 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students; 1 adult for every 5 students is admitted free of charge. Each additional adult accompanying the group is charged the program fee.
- All adults accompanying home school groups are charged reduced admission of $4 per person. All accompanying children ages 4 and older are charged the program fee.
- You may picnic outside on our grounds free of charge.
- Inside lunch space may be reserved for up to 50 students for a fee of $25.
- ADVANCE RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR INDOOR SPACE.
Museum Store Cart
- A museum store cart is available for students to purchase souvenirs ranging from 25¢-$10. Students may shop during lunch or add an extra 15-20 minutes at the end of your visit. We offer a selection of kid-friendly items that make perfect souvenirs of the trip!
- A written confirmation will be mailed prior to your scheduled program.
- IN THE EVENT THAT YOU MUST CANCEL A TOUR OR PROGRAM, PLEASE CONTACT US AT LEAST ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE.
When you call, please have ready:
- Choice of program(s)
- Requested date (Please have 1-2 alternatives in mind)
- Requested start time
- Number of students (Check group size limits for desired program)
- Grade level
- Number of classes in the group
- Names of all teachers
- Teacher or group contact email address
- Any specific teacher goals for the program
- Special needs of students in your group
- Will you need extra time for the museum store cart?
2012-13 School Programs Brochure.pdf
Download (12,604 KB)